top of page

7 Safety Tips for Your Puppy's First Christmas

Nothing brings on the holly jollies like sharing the celebrations with a new puppy. But it’s important to remember that puppies are as mischievous as they are adorable. Christmas, with all its decorations, food, and festivities, can pose several hazards to your new furry friend. This blog provides essential safety tips to ensure your puppy's first Christmas is joyous and safe.

Holiday Pet Safety Tips for Your Puppy's First Christmas

1. Beware of the Bar

Q: Why should I keep an eye on alcoholic drinks around my puppy?

A: Puppies are naturally curious and may be tempted to sample unattended drinks. Alcohol can be extremely dangerous for dogs, causing symptoms ranging from mild incoordination to severe tremors, seizures, or even death.

Real-World Situation

Consider Buddy, a curious Golden Retriever puppy who found an unattended glass of eggnog on the coffee table. After drinking some, Buddy became very sleepy and uncoordinated. His owners rushed him to the vet, where they learned that alcohol can be toxic to dogs and that Buddy had consumed enough to require medical attention.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Charlotte Flint, a senior consulting veterinarian with the Pet Poison Helpline, explains, “Dogs seem to like creamy drinks like White Russians, but any alcohol can be harmful. During the holidays, dogs might also ingest alcohol-soaked desserts like rum balls, leading to serious health issues.”

Symptoms of alcohol ingestion in dogs:

  • Incoordination

  • Sleepiness

  • Weakness

  • Vomiting

  • Low blood sugar

  • Low body temperature

  • Changes in heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure

  • Tremors

  • Seizures

  • Coma

  • Death

2. Keep an Eye on the Buffet

Q: Which holiday foods are dangerous for puppies?

A: Many holiday foods can be harmful or toxic to dogs. Be especially cautious with raisins, grapes, yeast dough, sugar-free candy, macadamia nuts, and fatty foods.

Real-World Situation

Max, a young Beagle, managed to snag a piece of Christmas pudding off the table. Later, Max started vomiting and became lethargic. His owners took him to the vet, where they learned that raisins and grapes, common in holiday treats, can cause kidney failure in dogs.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Flint warns, “Raisin and grape toxicity is poorly understood but can lead to kidney failure. Similarly, yeast dough can expand in the stomach, and sugar-free candies containing xylitol can cause low blood sugar and liver failure.”

Foods to avoid:

  • Raisins and grapes: Can cause kidney failure.

  • Yeast dough: Can expand and cause dangerous stomach distension.

  • Sugar-free candy: Xylitol can cause low blood sugar and liver failure.

  • Macadamia nuts: Can cause weakness, tremors, vomiting, and pancreatitis.

  • Fatty foods: Can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis.

3. Skip the Mistletoe

Q: Are holiday plants dangerous for puppies?

A: While poinsettias are not as toxic as once believed, mistletoe can be harmful if ingested in large quantities, causing cardiovascular and neurological symptoms.

Real-World Situation

Bella, a curious Poodle, chewed on some mistletoe hanging in the living room. Shortly after, Bella began vomiting and showing signs of distress. Her owners contacted the vet, who informed them that mistletoe ingestion could be serious and advised immediate treatment.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Flint notes, “While poinsettias may cause mild GI upset, mistletoe can lead to more severe symptoms, including cardiovascular issues and neurological signs. It’s best to keep these plants out of reach.”

4. Provide a Safe Space

Q: How can I ensure my puppy feels safe during holiday gatherings?

A: The holidays can be overwhelming for a new puppy. Providing a safe, quiet space away from the hustle and bustle can help them feel secure.

Real-World Situation

Molly, a young Labrador, became anxious during her family’s holiday party. To help her relax, her owners set up a quiet room with her bed, toys, food, and water. They also played calming music, which helped Molly feel safe and comfortable.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Charlotte Means from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises, “Consider the number of guests and the noise level. Many pets benefit from having a safe, secure, and quiet place away from the festivities.”

Tips for creating a safe space:

  • Set up a separate room with food, water, toys, and a bed.

  • Use calming music or a white noise machine.

  • Crate train your puppy before the holidays.

5. Puppy-Proof Your Tree

Q: What are the risks associated with Christmas trees for puppies?

A: Christmas trees can be hazardous due to ornaments, wires, tree water, and fallen needles, all of which can pose risks if ingested or interacted with.

Real-World Situation

Charlie, a Jack Russell Terrier, was fascinated by the Christmas tree. One day, he chewed on an ornament hook and had to be rushed to the vet for surgery to remove it. Since then, Charlie’s owners have used plastic ornaments and placed them higher on the tree, out of his reach.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Means highlights several hazards: “Antique ornaments may contain lead, and glass ornaments can cause lacerations. Electric cords can cause electrocution, and tree water with additives can lead to vomiting and diarrhea.”

Puppy-proofing tips:

  • Use plastic ornaments and place them higher on the tree.

  • Prevent access to electric cords with chew-proof protectors.

  • Cover the tree water to prevent drinking.

  • Sweep fallen needles daily.

6. Pass on the Potpourri

Q: Why should I avoid potpourri around my puppy?

A: Potpourri can be tempting for puppies to chew on, but it can cause stomach upset and potential obstructions.

Real-World Situation

Luna, a curious Dachshund, chewed on a bowl of potpourri. She soon developed stomach upset and had to be treated by the vet. Luna’s owners learned to keep potpourri and similar items out of her reach.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Means warns, “Ingesting dried potpourri can cause stomach upset, and large pieces can lead to obstructions. Some potpourri also contains toxic plants and essential oils.”

7. Educate Your Guests

Q: How can I ensure guests help keep my puppy safe?

A: Educating guests on how to interact with your puppy and ensuring they keep their belongings secure can prevent accidents.

Real-World Situation

Daisy, a mischievous Boxer, got into a guest’s suitcase and chewed up a weekly pill organizer. Thankfully, Daisy’s owners noticed quickly and took her to the vet. They now ensure guests keep their luggage securely closed.

Veterinary Insight

Dr. Flint emphasizes, “Guests may not be aware of a pet’s curiosity. Ask them not to feed your puppy human food or beverages and to keep their medications secure.”

Guest guidelines:

  • Ask guests not to feed your puppy human food or drinks.

  • Ensure guests secure their luggage and medications.


Ensuring your puppy’s first Christmas is safe involves a combination of preventive measures, supervision, and education. By following these tips and being vigilant, you can keep your puppy out of harm’s way and enjoy a joyful holiday season together. If your puppy does get into trouble, contact your veterinarian immediately. Happy holidays!

7 Safety Tips for Your Puppy's First Christmas
7 Safety Tips for Your Puppy's First Christmas


Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page